The Musical Brochure

The Musical Brochure Volume 7
Add me on Myspace download coming soon...

Artists- Song Titles The Musical Brochure Volume 7 Playlist Artwork by Maria
1. Philip Glass- Opening
2. Attention Deficit- Scapula
3. Enon- Shoulder
4. Bizzart- Stumbling Blocks
5. The Allstar Project- Riding the Bullet
6. Mandrill- Fencewalk
7. Sage Francis- Underground for Dummies
8. Kaddisfly- Waves (July)
9. Dulce de Leche- Valley of Death
10. Ulrich Schnauss- Stars
11. Hour of the Shipwreck- The Chandelier Suite
12. Pavement- Conduit for Sale!
13. Jeff Ramuno & the Gunslingers- Mozart Scapegoat
14. Pride of Kenya- The Wathcer
15. On Nova- The Ghost


This Weeks Featured Artists is Maria.
Visit her on Myspace | Flickr
"My favorite place to photograph is LA. I love to take long drives alone and discover new places. There is so much to see that I feel like I can do this for many years to come. Even thought I would love to travel and see the world, I don't feel that you have to drive very far to find an amazing spot. I want to learn all I can about where I am from."

About Me

Welcome to The Musical Brochure, A place where you can check out what's going on in my weird mind when it comes to music, art, love and poetry. album reviews, social thoughts, upcoming events, and other obscured and random comments will be up on my blog. Also, I will be creating what i call the musical brochure volumes, each first monday of the month i'll be putting out a zip file that will contain a mix playlist of music so people can download. Also i'm looking for local artist that can create the artwork for the playlist you will be featured on my blog and myspace and links will be provided to your work and contact information, maybe i can find you some networks. Lastly, I want to support local music, art and activism anything that can better our society mentally. If you are a band and want to be featured on the monthly playlist or be promoted on the blog. contact me at jerrysalazar2@yahoo.com or on myspace. my ultimate goal is to create an online radio station based entirely on independent music from around the world, locally and unlocally acts that deserve the recognition it deserve.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Interview: Charts and Maps

Jemayel bass player for Charts and Maps took time off his busy schedule to support the Musical Brochure with this Interview, Enjoy!

I always start with this question just cause it's something on peoples' minds, Charts and Maps where did you guys come up with that name, reminds me of Maps & Atlases, we need to get you guys to open up for them that would be interesting?


Yeah, we were just sitting around after we started jamming, trying to think of a name. Charts and Maps was the only one that everybody could agree on. I found out that Maps and Atlases existed literally a week after we named ourselves, but we figured it didn't really matter. I mean, yeah, we're both progressive bands but we do sound quite different. There's another band called Maps as well, so all three of us could go on tour together, charts and maps and maps and maps and atlases"

When did you guys become a band?

John and I have been playing together since we were 15-ish. We had a band in high school called Soli i Sombra. The rest of us all met at USC--we all actually lived together for a year. We began jamming in this format in like May of 2007-

I enjoyed 'Charts and Maps Killed a Man' from the controlled chaotic solos to the organic fills.  What's your favorite song to play live off that EP?

As of this point, the only song off of that EP that we play live is Bury Pierre. We sort of discarded the rest. We often discuss bringing 10:58 back, but it's just so long that it takes up a significant portion of any set we're likely to play. We just think our new material is better.  Charts and Maps Killed a Man has pretty much the first five songs we wrote together. 

How did you guys get involved with The A.M.A.R. Collective and what is your opinion on the collective organization?

I think I started chatting with Andrew Newton (of ars poetria and like 10 different bands) on the 'ol interweb-- i think he was into our really old project Soli i Sombra-- and things just sort of rolled on from there. I think AMAR is excellent. Not only as a conceptual idea, but also the people involved that I have met have all been so open minded and laid back. AMAR really gives bands and artists of all kinds an opportunity to showcase their talents, involve themselves with a community of like minded individuals and grow through connections with people. We're really happy to be involved with them. 

Growing up as a kid I was forced to listen to Bob Marley, Carlos Santana, Talking Heads and because of my mother Prince but I thank my parents for that because it's made me so open minded. What did you guys listen to growing up? what influenced you to pick up a musical instrument and make that a passion?

When we were in high school John and I both had musical awakenings of sorts to the album 'El Cielo' by Dredg. It really showed us what music could be and made us begin to look outside of the box with our creative impulses. Before that we hadn't necessarily sought after music that challenged us. After El Cielo, even to today, we try to challenge ourselves in the composition of every song.

I read up on the interviews Jemayel did and he always asked this question so looking it from a different perspective. What do you think about filesharing?

Personally I fully support it in all forms. The majority of media companies are run by corporations who are selling a product more than they are facilitating art. Independent and smaller labels will be able to do fine by adapting to a new business environment. ---in my mind music is free. I'd be quite happy if all the major labels crumbled. 

I saw you guys had some shows up north how did those go and how did you guys get those gigs?

Fervent e-mailing by us and the danger bees.Pretty much we were willing to play anywhere that would house us, and if they gave us gas money, then excellent. We got lucky that a couple of really cool venues were into us. Specifically, The Comet Tavern in Seattle  was a lot of fun with a real cool crowd.

What's Charts and Maps plan for this year?

Well, we're recording again in June with Chris Schlarb, whose projects are on asthmatic kitty records. So that's really exciting. We're in the process of replacing Alec, our rhythm guitar player who was just so busy he couldn't commit fully to our band. Instead, Jay Watford, who also plays in Danger Bees, is gonna be playing with us. We finished our new EP (finally), titled 'Trouble at the Old Mill,' so we're trying to get that into as many ears as possible in the meantime. People can download it free from our myspage page. Um, also, we're in the process of starting an art collective with Pride of Kenya, Danger Bees, us, and a few visual artists--it's gonna be called Heard of Elephants (i think) and we're gonna get going in July. It should be fun.

Recommend me some music?

Well, I know you keep up on your music, jerry, so here goes anyway: tinariwen, dosh, harry nilsson, we're all massive battles fans, extra golden

Why should people listen to your music?

Well, if it brings them pleasure, they should do it

No comments: