The Musical Brochure

The Musical Brochure Volume 7
Add me on Myspace download coming soon...

Artists- Song Titles The Musical Brochure Volume 7 Playlist Artwork by Maria
1. Philip Glass- Opening
2. Attention Deficit- Scapula
3. Enon- Shoulder
4. Bizzart- Stumbling Blocks
5. The Allstar Project- Riding the Bullet
6. Mandrill- Fencewalk
7. Sage Francis- Underground for Dummies
8. Kaddisfly- Waves (July)
9. Dulce de Leche- Valley of Death
10. Ulrich Schnauss- Stars
11. Hour of the Shipwreck- The Chandelier Suite
12. Pavement- Conduit for Sale!
13. Jeff Ramuno & the Gunslingers- Mozart Scapegoat
14. Pride of Kenya- The Wathcer
15. On Nova- The Ghost


This Weeks Featured Artists is Maria.
Visit her on Myspace | Flickr
"My favorite place to photograph is LA. I love to take long drives alone and discover new places. There is so much to see that I feel like I can do this for many years to come. Even thought I would love to travel and see the world, I don't feel that you have to drive very far to find an amazing spot. I want to learn all I can about where I am from."

About Me

Welcome to The Musical Brochure, A place where you can check out what's going on in my weird mind when it comes to music, art, love and poetry. album reviews, social thoughts, upcoming events, and other obscured and random comments will be up on my blog. Also, I will be creating what i call the musical brochure volumes, each first monday of the month i'll be putting out a zip file that will contain a mix playlist of music so people can download. Also i'm looking for local artist that can create the artwork for the playlist you will be featured on my blog and myspace and links will be provided to your work and contact information, maybe i can find you some networks. Lastly, I want to support local music, art and activism anything that can better our society mentally. If you are a band and want to be featured on the monthly playlist or be promoted on the blog. contact me at jerrysalazar2@yahoo.com or on myspace. my ultimate goal is to create an online radio station based entirely on independent music from around the world, locally and unlocally acts that deserve the recognition it deserve.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Atmosphere- When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold

So I got the leak of the new album and from the very start I can tell I was gonna hear something different from what I've heard from Atmosphere before. The Official Release date of the LP is April 22th go cop it at your local record store and support them on their upcoming tour they shall be playing 2 special nights at the Henry Fonda or Music Box whatever you want to call it in May check out this site for more info. Anyways the album starts of with a Music Box playing and then a beautiful piano piece comes in and Slug hits it off right way, more of the melodic Slug instead of the aggressive Slug. I've haven't done my research on this album yet but from what I know Ant does production on all Atmosphere records you can tell after getting to the next track Atmosphere took this record on a bit of a softer swag. I read up a little before writing this track by track and read a track by track from slug & ant. When I frist heard "The Skinny" originally I didn't listen to the lyrics much but now that I read up on what it's really about it's kinda scary how Slug can torture you with his words, an inspiration i guess that's what Slug called it read up it's not about a pimp. You can tell by each track Atmosphere changed up a bit for this album the music is fresh and kinda poppy. Shoulda Known hits you off straight in the mouth, the first thing i thought I about was sex. Slug said it reminded him of Prince the 'Dirty Mind' era, who would've known haha. You comes on, I think this song has to be one of my favorite tracks on the album especially the opening line. "You Love the people that Love you, You hear the music they move to, You Give your Ode to the Fall through, but you don't know, you don't know, you don't know, you don't know YOU". Paintings starts off with an instrument I have probably never heard in a Rap song before, a slide guitar, very down-tempo another less aggressive song. Your Glasshouse starts off with Tunde from TV on the Radio singing and then a deep synth comes in and Tunde voice fades in and out of the track till Slug comes in. With a title like Yesterday you'd think it'll work perfect with the direction the sound was going on this album. The songs starts off with a very bright piano piece that Stevie would bop his head to, you'll then realize the song is about Slug's Father, thinking optimistic about sad moments in life is the way to live. Guarantees is some guitar chords being played over Slug's rapping straight up go watch the video. If you want to know a little bit about Slug "Me" is 3:40 minute biography of his life. Another favorite track of mine on this record is "Wild Wild Horses" the instruments they used cohesively worked with each other everything about this song is great,  Slug said, "That song gave me a glimpse into what my life is going to be like when I actually do have to go work in Vegas. Because it's coming. I'm not going to quit, ever. Even when they fire me, I'm just going to go to Vegas". haha. I didn't like the way i wrote about the next track "Can't Break" so here's what Slug and Ant had to say about the track Ant: "This was probably the biggest challenge. It's based on a sample, and we were trying to find the original sound they made. We had maybe 10 synthesizers, all kinds of them. We had two keyboardists, me the guitarist and our engineer Joe all playing" Slug:  "You should've seen all five of them playing synths at the same time. It looked the Devo." haha. Slug says he sent 'The Waitress' to Tom Waits and all he did was Beatbox on the track haha. The Perfect way to end the album at least musically, it closes with a song about a girl that uses and abuses escapism through music ending where the album begun. Overall this album is solid probably the most accessible album from Atmosphere, more sophisticated. Go Cop It! I am. Go Download the Track Shoulda Known for free thanks to Atmosphere on Myspace. It's the Clean Version =)

Download the Track 'Shoulda Known' Clean Version from Mediafire
Watch the Video for 'Guarantees' on Youtube
Watch the Video for 'Shoulda Known' on Youtube
Check out Atmosphere on Myspace
Go Pre-Order the Album on Amazon

No comments: