The Musical Brochure

The Musical Brochure Volume 7
Add me on Myspace download coming soon...

Artists- Song Titles The Musical Brochure Volume 7 Playlist Artwork by Maria
1. Philip Glass- Opening
2. Attention Deficit- Scapula
3. Enon- Shoulder
4. Bizzart- Stumbling Blocks
5. The Allstar Project- Riding the Bullet
6. Mandrill- Fencewalk
7. Sage Francis- Underground for Dummies
8. Kaddisfly- Waves (July)
9. Dulce de Leche- Valley of Death
10. Ulrich Schnauss- Stars
11. Hour of the Shipwreck- The Chandelier Suite
12. Pavement- Conduit for Sale!
13. Jeff Ramuno & the Gunslingers- Mozart Scapegoat
14. Pride of Kenya- The Wathcer
15. On Nova- The Ghost


This Weeks Featured Artists is Maria.
Visit her on Myspace | Flickr
"My favorite place to photograph is LA. I love to take long drives alone and discover new places. There is so much to see that I feel like I can do this for many years to come. Even thought I would love to travel and see the world, I don't feel that you have to drive very far to find an amazing spot. I want to learn all I can about where I am from."

About Me

Welcome to The Musical Brochure, A place where you can check out what's going on in my weird mind when it comes to music, art, love and poetry. album reviews, social thoughts, upcoming events, and other obscured and random comments will be up on my blog. Also, I will be creating what i call the musical brochure volumes, each first monday of the month i'll be putting out a zip file that will contain a mix playlist of music so people can download. Also i'm looking for local artist that can create the artwork for the playlist you will be featured on my blog and myspace and links will be provided to your work and contact information, maybe i can find you some networks. Lastly, I want to support local music, art and activism anything that can better our society mentally. If you are a band and want to be featured on the monthly playlist or be promoted on the blog. contact me at jerrysalazar2@yahoo.com or on myspace. my ultimate goal is to create an online radio station based entirely on independent music from around the world, locally and unlocally acts that deserve the recognition it deserve.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Ninja Academy Interview

Hello! 
Well I did this little email interview on this band you may know or you may not, 
well technically you do know, these guys are AMAZING! 

Ninja Academy 04/21/2008 Interview

Yo! What Up Fellas? Well to start off my names Jerry and well basically my objective with the musical brochure is to get music locally, nationally, and 
internationally out to the masses, music in which i think doesn't get it's proper recognition. What better way to start than locally right? Well hopefully you 
guys gather up some more fans with this interview and we can get you guys out of the states. The way I see it if we gather up enough people to help each
other out as if we were a government in control then we'll succeed with our purpose to get the correct insight instilled in people's head instead of all that 
giber-jaber. that's the ultimate goal. Alright let's get to it.

Ninja Academy? was that the original name for the band?
Outdo: No, the original name was actually bra'ka dOm, which leads to the next question.  Indo will tell you how we changed the name to Ninja Academy. Indo?
Indo: I was working on this guy's project. He was writting music for a commercial and titled it ninja academy. I stared at it on my desktop for a while. I thought it  
would be a great name for a band. I like what it means and what it stands for.

What the hell does Bra'ka dOm mean?
Outdo: It's an onomatopoeia for the sound drums make. One of the many sounds anyways.  

I'm a fan of Woven you guys are good friends how did you guys get acquainted?
Indo: I dont remember when exactly we met but it was probably when were doing events at this place called the Hangar 1018. They were doing
events there as well and we sort of joined forces. Great guys! They've become real close friends.

How long have you guys been playing together, just Indo and Outdo? 
Outdo: We've been playing together for many, many years.  You can say we basically trained together.  Cut our teeth, as they say.  
As Ninja Academy, though, about 5 years now.
Indo: Yeah we know each other's ins and outs, that's why we play well together.

I know there are other guest appearances any ideas in gathering up a bigger academy in the future?
Outdo: A ninja orchestra would be the shit. Also, a gang of martial artists mixing it up on stage while we perform would be dope too.  We have a bunch of ideas,
 it's just a matter of making them come to fruition. 
Indo: Yes, the possibilities are endless.
 
When I first heard you guys the influences of the Ruins and Korekyojin stood at the most to me, where do you guys grap your influences from 
besides the Ramen. Socially & Musically that is? 
Indo:  Our influnces aren't what you think they are I guess. I like the ruins but I've been making music like this before i knew about the Ruins or Lightning 
Bolt. So i can't really say I'm influenced by them.  I dont have any Rush or King Crimson records. I love Pixies, Charles MingusBossa Nova, Radiohead,
which influence me. But I feel we are more influence by relationships with people around us. We might be also influence by the approach of the music 
rather than sonicly.

What's the craziest thing you've seen at one of your live shows from either one of the ninjas or one of your fans?
Outdo: At one show one dude was literally doing back flips because he was so excited by us. I think he hurt himself.  Also, when Donkey Punch was
still with us, his last time at Old Towne Pub in Pasadena he repelled down the wall outside and jumped up on the bar and did his thing.  That was THE SHIT!
I miss that guy.  

Tell me your thoughts about the Sunset Strip?
Outdo: Pshh, whatever. Read a blog I wrote about it on our Myspace. It's called "Our recent experience at The Whiskey in Hollywood".  That pretty much 
sums up how I feel.
Indo: Boycott the Sunset Strip. 

Where did you guys film the video for Your Kung Fu Sucks?
Outdo: Would Batman tell you where the Batcave is?   

What are the bands short term and long term goals?
Outdo: I'd like to take this thing around the world, specifically Japan and Europe. Tour!
Indo: Touring and, man, making records. Also, would like to get into  soundrack for films. Can you imagine Ninja Academy music for a film? Yes yes!  

Have you guys played in other bands before? If so, when and was it different from the sound you guys ? 
Outdo: We've both played in too many to list.  Hundreds. I've done nothing like what I am doing with Indo.  This guy's a genius.  
Indo: We collaborate on many projects both as the rhythm section and individually. With Ninja Academy, I feel we have total freedom to explore 
our musical endeavors. Our mission is to be true to what's inside to preserve its integrity.

How many effect pedals are you workin' with Indo?
Indo: I have an old big muff reverb and a loop station. I have a pitch shifter.  The hog. It seems never ending. Apparantly you cant 
have one pedal that does everything.  

Outdo, Where did you get your rhythm from? drumming influences as you grew up with your skins?
Outdo:  I don't really know.  My parents certainly weren't musical.  I guess I just liked music and kinda had a knack for it.  Some of my first drumming 
influences were The Cure, The Pixies, Dramarama... 80's shit. Then I got into classic rock, then jazz.  I like everything.  
Drummers that influenced me: Neil Peart (yeah, yeah), Tony Williams, David Lovering, Lol Tolhurst (ha!).  

You think 2pac's really coming back?
Outdo:  Where'd he go? 
Indo: Yeah, he predicts the future man! He's like the new nostradamus!

Lastly, Here's a question a friend wanted to ask, " Give me the top 3 reasons 
why I should spend MY money for tickets to your shows?"
Outdo:  Because you'll get a good show!  (what more do you need?) 
Indo: I don't know how to answer that without sounding pretentious. 
But if want to see some crazy shit, hear good music and have a good time, you'd see a Ninja Academy show.  

Thank You Jerry! 
Indo & Outdo 

Download Ninja Academy- Neckface from MediaFire
Check out the Ninja Academy on YouTube
Join the Ninja Academy on Myspace
Buy Some Ninja Academy Gear 

No comments: