The Musical Brochure

The Musical Brochure Volume 7
Add me on Myspace download coming soon...

Artists- Song Titles The Musical Brochure Volume 7 Playlist Artwork by Maria
1. Philip Glass- Opening
2. Attention Deficit- Scapula
3. Enon- Shoulder
4. Bizzart- Stumbling Blocks
5. The Allstar Project- Riding the Bullet
6. Mandrill- Fencewalk
7. Sage Francis- Underground for Dummies
8. Kaddisfly- Waves (July)
9. Dulce de Leche- Valley of Death
10. Ulrich Schnauss- Stars
11. Hour of the Shipwreck- The Chandelier Suite
12. Pavement- Conduit for Sale!
13. Jeff Ramuno & the Gunslingers- Mozart Scapegoat
14. Pride of Kenya- The Wathcer
15. On Nova- The Ghost


This Weeks Featured Artists is Maria.
Visit her on Myspace | Flickr
"My favorite place to photograph is LA. I love to take long drives alone and discover new places. There is so much to see that I feel like I can do this for many years to come. Even thought I would love to travel and see the world, I don't feel that you have to drive very far to find an amazing spot. I want to learn all I can about where I am from."

About Me

Welcome to The Musical Brochure, A place where you can check out what's going on in my weird mind when it comes to music, art, love and poetry. album reviews, social thoughts, upcoming events, and other obscured and random comments will be up on my blog. Also, I will be creating what i call the musical brochure volumes, each first monday of the month i'll be putting out a zip file that will contain a mix playlist of music so people can download. Also i'm looking for local artist that can create the artwork for the playlist you will be featured on my blog and myspace and links will be provided to your work and contact information, maybe i can find you some networks. Lastly, I want to support local music, art and activism anything that can better our society mentally. If you are a band and want to be featured on the monthly playlist or be promoted on the blog. contact me at jerrysalazar2@yahoo.com or on myspace. my ultimate goal is to create an online radio station based entirely on independent music from around the world, locally and unlocally acts that deserve the recognition it deserve.

Monday, April 14, 2008

The Musical Brochure Vol. 5


Hey whats up Guys/Gals? well it was a little of a late notice on my part on this weeks artwork and this week's featured artists, but everything is ready to go for you to listen to and enjoy. A couple of things going on News for your eyes and ears. Basically, a new venture has taken it's toll and well i'll be putting more effort to that project. It'll involve more people and artists and help the society we live around and possibly reach others nationally and even internationally. No big hints on what the project will involve and who i'll be involved with because I want to have more information for you guys to really understand what's going on instead setting sails with a vague explanation. So with that said The Musical Brochure will be every Month now on the first day of the Month. It'll help settle more artists locally and establish more promotions plus dealing with two daily projects plus my living arrangements and income would just be too much to deal with and imagine having a girlfriend like that haha, but anyways in lamens terms the Musical Brochure will know be available the first day of each month instead of weekly. Okay so on to this week's Musical Brochure. I've mixed in a bunch of different styles and artists that i want you guys to listen to and I want to write something about each artists in which i will start doing with artists monthly. I will have enought gathered up information and really get to know the artists and what they're all about. The Mixtape starts off with Saul Williams a poet, that mixes his spoken word rapping to different beats from guitar driven solos to just simple arranged beats, Saul Williams is known for his messages in his songs and trying to build up the listeners knowledge of certain subjects he raps about, very inspirational and meaningful words. Next comes Bonnie "Billy" Prince singing a cover of Bruce Springstein's Thunder Road with the assistant of the post-rock/ jazz ensemble 'Tortoise'. This song has a great story and I really suggest you read the lyrics, plus this combo is really strong. Tortoise & Bonnie "Billy" Prince put together this cd that consists of a bunch of covers they enjoy ranging from artists like 1980 punk band minutemen, brazilian musician Milton Nascimento, Devo and even Sir Elton John this album is great and I think you should purchase it. Next comes up what I call Elmo's Rock Band, Satomi Matsuzaki's voice sounds so much like Elmo it's funny but anyways this song hits hard and the guitar dubbing sounds great. Brian Eno's 'Sky Saw' off of Another Green World daggers in. The Great Bass Line makes up for the long intro to the very few lyrics but once you hear those lyrics you fall right into Eno's Trap guessing what all the voices are saying. It's said that Eno's songwriting process is quite often based more on the sounds of the words than on the meaning. Anyways to the next band, Their are bands that I listen to and I can tell by the first song this band has something going. When I first heard Stateless a band involved in the Leeds Music Scene I heard that reminiscence of Jeff Buckley and hints of Aphex Twin. Chris James voice is strong and very emotional like of Jeff Buckley and the tracks go on having a heavy influence in electronic and dj work, Chris did tour with DJ Shadow. Knocking down the front door Ninja Academy surprises the shit out of anything living or non living. Their live performances are very entertaining they're not apart of the Japanese Music Scene influence towards the noise scene but they are very influenced by their Asian Roots eating Chow Mein before every show. haha. Jungle Wabbit (Episode 1) is fun. The Wabbit then jumps into the Circus of Man Man If you haven't heard Man Man yet you are missing out on some very fun and experimental stuff. Man Man uses anything to make noises and sounds to create their music and their newest album 'Rabbit Habits' spotlights that aspect of their experimenting. Watch their special on Pitchfork here on YouTube. I wanted to you guys to hear those song by Sweep the Leg Johnny the vocalist plays saxphone after the vocal melodies, it weaves in just right. Next is a band from Iceland names after a drink, Singapore Sling they're known for their feedback noises the song I put on this week's playlist is called "Life is Killing my Rock N' Roll" which is simple and to the point lyrically, buy one of their albums on Amazon. Up next comes my favorite electronic artists Aphex Twin, this song comes from his Selected Ambient Works 85-92 which also happens to be my favorite electronic album. I hope you enjoy this song I always do. Lucky Track 11 is Without Out from New Orleans band Mute Math. This song came off their first release of their Self Titled released off of the indie label Telepromt when Mute Math got on Warner Bros they re-released a new version excluding this track and including old tracks off of their first effort "Reset EP" which now is out of print. Great Lyrics always keeps me Optimistic. On to the next song me and my friend were talking about this band and i've never really listened to their music as much but after I heard some of their tracks off of their newest release Do It! I thought it was great. It has gotten mild reviews but i really enjoyed the track I choose to put on this week's Artists. Live 'Clinic' wears nurse outfits or costumes with surgical masks. They have some gnarly pictures. The Next Track holds a special memory I remember when I was a teenager about 16 or 17 i would sit on the roof of my parent's apartment and just look at the stars and just think about stuff. Massive Attack has one of those effects on people they honestly changed my life and I think we all need the help of someone by the words they encourage or something optimistic they look up to, another lyrically well written song. After hearing this song on Indie 103.1 a couple of days I got a happy because I hardly listen to the radio and I'm happy they are playing good music on the radio. From the live performances I've seen on Youtube they don't seem like the greatest live band but this song is just great and what they have to say is reality there's nothing better than a band that reminds you of reality. The Last Band just got dropped from their label and last winter finished up their last little tour for awhile, Team Sleep announced some News about what happened and what's going to happen with Team Sleep in the years to come, they created a new intimate website that is dedicated to memories of the band and Todd from Team Sleep comments and talks to fans on their. They re-released some demo tracks that were reworked and re-recorded and this one came up on the site. It was demo back in 06 or 07 and was played live at their last winter tour. I was lucky to see such an amazing song live, blessings to their future ventures. I hope you guys enjoy this week's playlist and if you have any feedback you know where to reach me. blessings.

The Musical Brochure Vol. 5 (15 songs/ 1:04:16 total time/ 98.8 MB)

1. Saul Williams- Our Father (7:07)
2. Tortoise & Bonnie "Prince" Billy- Thunder Road (6:28)
3. Deerhoof- Dummy Discards a Heart (2:39)
4. Brian Eno- Sky Saw (3:28)
5. Stateless- Exit (3:44)
6. Ninja Academy- Jungle Wabbit (Episode 1) (1:15)
7. Man Man- Hurly/ Burly (3:54)
8. Sweep the Leg Johnny- Bloodlines (4;46)
9. Singapore Sling- Life is Killing My Rock N' Roll (3:32)
10. Aphex Twin- Pulsewidth (3:48)
11. Mute Math- Without It (4:57)
12. Clinic- Free Not Free (3:03)
13. Massive Attack- What Your Soul Sings (6:40)
14. MGMT- Time To Pretend (4:21)
15 Team Sleep- Formant (4:43)

Featured Artists:

This Week's Featured Artists comes from New Mexico his name is Randolph Barry and he's known for his Polaroid snapshots. His styles range he doesn't stick to one particular idea he does different styles, tints, formats and items. Check out his Myspace for his pictures and check out the folder in the Zip file for actual size polaroids the folder is names 05 Featured Artists. Thank You Randolph.

Downloads:

For Mac Users
Download through MediaFire

For PC Users
Download through MediaFire

No comments: